Hey, check me out - I'm a teacher :D

Sunday 3 June 2012

Well, its been a long hard 10 months, but I've made it through to the other side, and I'm now a newly qualified teacher :)

I've survived 3 placements, the last of which was a MAJOR challenge for me, and at times I was even doubting my own ability to make it through. I made it through 4 assessments, which i'm chuffed to say I passed on the first attempt at each.

I've worked crazy long days, spent hours reading, planning, evaluating, assessing (myself and the kids!), and not to forget laminating. So much laminating. It's been stressful, fun, challenging, and a massive learning curve for me, but i'm so pleased to say I've finished my PGDE, ready to start my new career as a primary teacher.

In Scotland we are really lucky in that we have a Teacher Induction Scheme, where we are matched up to a job in one of five chosen (by ourselves) local authorities. This means I don't have the stress of job hunting for another year, and in August this year I'll be starting my probation year, giving me a chance to develop my skills as a teacher before I set out into the competitive business of finding a job. It's amazing that we are given this opportunity, because I can't even imagine what it would have been like to have to have started job hunting while still working on the PGDE. It will be amazing experience, having my own class for the year, and i'm so excited to take on that responsibility!

I'm really chuffed with the school I've been assigned to - I haven't been to visit yet but from the website, the school looks amazing, so i'm really excited. I'm either going to have a p3 or a p7, which the head teacher will decide on when the other probationer and I visit on the 25th June.

Our course closing ceremony took place on Friday. It wasnt a proper graduation ceremony with robes and all, but it was just a celebration of the successful students, and the amazing profession that we are about to enter. It was a chance to dress up, and say congratulations to ourselves and our pals, over a wee glass of wine (or 3) and a strawberry tart. Afterwards I had a light lunch (with cocktails) before a proper evening out with my family, a lovely meal and some drinks. It was a great day, my family are proud of me, my boyfriend is so proud of me, and to be honest I'm so proud of myself, and the day was all about celebrating what I have achieved. :)

Anyway, if you're like me when you're catching up on blog posts, you might be skipping to the pictures, so here goes...













Now the PGDE is over I think its time to focus on losing the double chin...

- THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -