Disneymoon Day 3 - Animal Kingdom!

Sunday 19 April 2015

Jambo! That's hello in the African language of Swahili for anyone who doesn't know, and the reason im speaking Swahili, Is because today on our travels we visited Disney's Animal Kingdom, which is themed around the continents of Africa, Asia, and er, Dino Land USA. Robert and I are both animal lovers, even more so since we added our little bun to our family, but I don't think Robert realised (despite the big hint in the name) that Animal Kingdom was going to have quite so many animals. And awesome animals at that!

Our day started bright and early again, with me waking up about 7ish. Robert was still asleep, but I got up and ready (doing my make up on the balcony again) before heading down to the Boardwalk Bakery for a coffee for Robert. There were so many tasty options available, but I had a snack in mind at Animal Kingdom so I went for a banana just to tide me over til then, and a wee milk coz I don't drink coffee or tea.

We had aimed to be at the park for opening, but by the time we got there it was about 9.20. It was already so warm by this time, so walking through the leafy entrance way with its shade and water sprays was lovely. The heat feels exhausting at the time but right now I'd give anything for that beautiful Florida sun on my skin! (I'm currently in the Spanish sun, which is an adequate substitute though!!)

We had 3 fast passes booked for today, but they didn't start until 10.45 so our plan was to head straight to Africa for the Kilimanjaro Safari. We hoped it wouldn't be too long a wait at this time, and also had heard that most animals would be out at this time of day (after a later visit I'm not sure I agree with that) because it isn't too hot for them yet.

Oh how I miss my little My Disney Experience app!
From memory, I think that the queue was about 20 minutes. Even though the queue had fans all the way along, we were still melting and I could feel my make up slipping off my face already.
Anyway it wasn't long til we were on the truck, and off we went!
There's a giraffe hiding in there somewhere!!
As you can see from the pictures the safari was pretty awesome and we saw a lot of animals, but no luck in spying the big cats. I actually don't even know if they have the lions on there anymore because we didn't see them either time! Anyone know?

Still, we were impressed by the animals we had seen, and I think it set a good first impression of Animal Kingdom for Robert. All through the trip, I was trying to make sure that Robert loved everything, obviously because I wanted him to have a good time, but I also wanted him to love Florida and Disney World as much as I did so we could come back! I'd be gutted if he didn't want to come back.

The best thing about the safari, is how peaceful and "safari like" it is. I know that probably sounds weird, but out on that safari you'd never know there was a bustling theme park, with thousands of people and Disney characters just 5 minutes away. It's amazing!

The Safari lasts about 25 minutes so by the time we got back it was shortly after 10, and almost time for our Everest fast pass. We were feeling a little peckish though, so on the way we stopped for the snack I had been saving myself for - The JalapeƱo pretzel!! We got one each from the Harambe Market which was really close to the exit of the safari. It cost $4.69 (according to that link, not my memory!) and it was sooooo good.


I almost forgot to take a picture, so it has one bite missing ;)

After this is was time for Everest, yay! I always enjoy Everest, but when I haven't been on in a while I always underestimate the thrill level - my mind equates it more with Big Thunder Mountain in Magic Kingdom, when in reality it's actually a lot faster, steeper and scarier. It's not up there with the really scary ones like The Hulk, but it's really good, and luckily I don't get the horrible nervey feeling in my stomach before it starts!

As we walked over there, we stopped for a while to watch some monkeys playing on a big island made of logs and ropes. Again, it's quite surreal to see these wee animals just chilling in the middle of a theme park!
 

Everest awaits!!

We joined the fast pass queue, and within 5 minutes or so we were boarding. We both loved this, just the right amount of scary, some fab theming and a backwards section into the bargain! I thought I had taken a sneaky picture of our ride picture but I can't seem to find it so I must not have.

We had about 30 minutes until our next fast pass so we headed towards Dinoland USA, making a couple of stops along the way for some pictures.
Dinosaur was up next - I couldn't really remember what this was like, but I know it didn't register highly on my "love this ride" scale, so I guessed it was probably quite a tame simulated type thing. And I was pretty much right. I see loads of pics online of people looking terrified of this ride, and I have no idea what there is to be terrified of! It's a bit of a bumpy ride on the search for a Dinosaur, with a few speedy bits and flashing lights etc but it's definitely not a roller coaster. It's fun, but not really a thrill ride as such.
See ^ , everyone looks pretty calm in our car, no screaming here!

After this we had one fast pass left, for Kali River Rapids. This time we had 40 minutes to go. I was tempted by one of the shows, but by the time the shows were finished we'd be pretty close to the end time of our fast pass so we didn't want to risk missing it, especially when we weren't sure how far apart they were. We decided to leave the shows until our next visit. We walked back towards Africa, deciding to join the single rider queue for Everest.

This took about 10/15 minutes, which isn't too long to wait for a ride on the park's biggest attraction in the height of the summer. I ended up sitting next to a Spanish lady who spoke no English but communicated very clearly that it was her first time and she was terrified! I felt bad for her coz she screamed the whole way round, but she was smiling when she got off so I guess she probably enjoyed it at least a little bit!

The Kali River Rapids were next, and as we arrived we could see people coming off who were literally drenched. Like, as if they'd jumped in a pool with their clothes on type drenched. Robert seemed apprehensive but never one to be put off by a bit of water, I carried on, full steam ahead. I was slightly worried about my stuff (camera etc) getting soaked but in the middle of the raft they have some little waterproof boxes for you to hide your stuff.

This picture might give you some indication as to how wet we got...

PhoYeah so we were pretty drenched. Which was quite a nice, if not slightly dramatic, way to cool down, but to be honest the ride itself isn't as thrilling as we would have hoped. It had a 120 minute (!!) wait so it's obviously a popular one, but we would only go on again if the queue was (much) shorter or we had a fast pass.

It was about 1pm by this point, and there was football on again at 3pm that Robert wanted to go watch somewhere so we decided to take our little soaked selves back to the car, hoping that the sun would dry us of on the way so we wouldn't soak the seats of the Mustang. But right on time, the sky turned grey and we were getting hit with huge splodges of rain. It didn't come to much, not a full on Florida storm, just enough to stop us drying off.

When we got back to the resort I decided I was going to have some pool time so I headed down to the main Boardwalk pool, grabbed a diet coke and set up camp with my kindle. It was bliss! For all of ten minutes, because there was an announcement of inclement weather and the pool area being evacuated!! Argh! Although 2pm isn't the ideal time for Florida sunbathing in July, because this is what generally happens around that time!
It was around this time that I also started to feel really really sick, so probably best that I was heading out of the sun. What was worrying me though, was that that evening we had a reservation for California Grill that I was VERY MUCH looking forward to. I didn't want it to be ruined by feeling sick, and I also didn't want to spend the best part of $200 on a meal I wasn't going to enjoy very much!

I tried to chill out a bit, drink lots of water, and took some anti sickness tablets. I dozed while Robert watched the football in the room, but nothing really helped. I still got up and got ready as if we were going out but in the end I decided that I felt far too sick to enjoy such an expensive meal. I went to the front desk and spoke to someone about rescheduling our meal. He informed me it would be a $10 per person cancellation fee, which I had known about. I asked if there was no way it could be waived due to me feeling unwell and he said no.

We then went ahead and rescheduled for the following week, and as I was leaving the desk he said "I've removed the cancellation fee for you ma'am, I hope you feel better soon".

Aaah, I love the Disney Service :)

It was about half past 6 by this point, and Robert was starving so we decided we'd head out to Lake Buena Vista area, with me still feeling a bit worse for wear, and eventually settled on Longhorn Steakhouse. I had my first turn driving the Mustang, because Robert had had a beer watching the football. It was pretty fun to drive!

We were seated right away, despite it being peak dinner time, and our server was really friendly and helpful.

Robert ordered some jalapeƱo bites to start, but with my nausea I decided to hold off and just have a main. It was hard to choose because I felt sick but I was worried my sickness might have been because I hadn't eaten much during the day, so I knew I had to eat something! The jalapeƱo bites were nice, but an unusually small portion for American dining!

 

They also served us up some of this honey oat bread, and my goodness it was delicious. I had to stop myself from eating too much or I wouldn't manage my steak! It helped sooth my queasiness a little bit.

The meals all came with a salad and a side, so I got a filet mignon steak, with ceasar salad and upgraded my side to a "Premium" side of mac n cheese. Now, people think the idea of mac n cheese with steak sounds a bit odd, but believe me when I tell you it's absolutely amazing!! Robert switched the side salad for chips, at no extra cost. I love how flexible they are over there, they are so used to adjusting menu options for people.
Overall this was an absolutely lovely meal, and from memory it was really cheap too! It was a shame I had to run to the bathroom about 4 times due to feeling sick but luckily I was never actually sick. I didn't regret cancelling California Grill though, I wouldn't have appreciated it with the way I was feeling. We headed back to the resort, pausing to take this picture as we went.
I just absolutely adore the Boardwalk resort, it was an absolute dream to stay here and these pictures make me long to be there so badly! We headed back to our super comfy bed and settled down, satisfied with another amazing Disneymoon day.

Highlight of the day : Animal Kingdom Safari

Food of the Day : Longhorn Fillet mignon with mac and cheese.

Thanks for reading (or looking at the pictures if you got bored of my long chunks of text!)

Jilly xox

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

8 comments:

  1. Looks so amazing Jilly! The animals are so beautiful. So glad you had a good time.

    RhiĆ¢n xo

    www.chapterandcircle.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh I love your pictures! You look like you had an amazing time. I didn't get to do the safari last year, the queue was too long and we couldn't get fastpasses and we didn't get time to go back to Animal Kingdom, so we've booked the fastpass for it this time already. I didn't see Dinosaur, but I'll definitely try that. I can't do Everest because I pass out on rollercoasters haha :(
    You've made me so excited for my holiday now!!

    Sian xx
    www.cakeydreamer.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh I remember going to Florida and visiting Animal Kingdom the day we landed foot on the Florida soil! It was beautiful!
    Your images look amazing and it seems like you had a wonderful time! I do hope you enjoy Spain too, gahh I want that sun right now!! :D
    xoxo,

    BerryBloomXO.com | Beauty & Lifestyle Blog 
    also on BLOGLOVIN 

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm dying to visit Disney world! Eeeek it looks so much fun.
    Alex // www.prettythoughtsx.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like a wonderful experience, I kept smiling whilst I was reading your post, i love how you take us through the details of your day! :) The animal kingdom seems like a great way to have a mini safari experience without actually going to a real wildlife safari! Can imagine lion king songs in the background as i browse through your photos lol! Ahhh i so badly want to experience something like this.
    And omg, the food looks so good!!!

    X, Carina
    Running White Horses | Fashion + Travel

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved reading this - it took me right back to Walt Disney World! I loved the Animal Kingdom - it's such a beautiful, detailed and unusual park. The safari is amazing and Expedition Everest is one of my favourite roller coasters out of all of the parks. I can sympathise with the Spanish woman - I screamed so much every time I rode it, but I actually hurt my throat from screaming the first time (I wasn't expecting it to go backwards!). I can't wait to read about more of your Disneymoon and I hope Robert wants to go back again!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. great post :) Looks so amazing :)

    http://lovelyattitude.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh! I love this. We had to wait ages to get on our safari! It was so worth it though. The Animal Kingdom is great, we spent a full day there then had to go back to the Sarafi! The fast passes are a life saver!

    This is my post about it if you want to see: http://skinnedcartree.com/2014/07/day-12-animal-kingdom.html

    Corinne x

    ReplyDelete

- THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -