Disneymoon Day 5 - Hollywood Studios and Epcot

Friday 7 August 2015

Hello!

Thanks for popping by for another installment of our Disneymoon Trip, we're now up to day 5! This will probably be the last *super* detailed post, because it was the last day where I took a lot of notes, from here on i'll probably have to remember my days from my photographs.Today we're off to Hollywood Studios, yay!

Our plan today was to have a wee bit of a longer lie, and were aiming to get to the park for about 10.30ish instead of 9 like the previous days. When we got up, we both decided to have a bit of pizza left over from the Papa Johns feast to keep us going for the day. We had an early-ish dinner reservation and so we didn't really want to have to eat a big lunch during the day as we had only really been able to eat one big meal each day so far. Looking back, I should have gone and tried some of the sweet treats that Writer's Stop or Starring Rolls had to offer, but I'll remember that for next time! I never did go and get the carrot cake cookie thing that was on my "To Eat" list. Yes, I have a "To Eat" list when I go to Florida, don't be judging me!

We decided to walk to the park today, and walking over was not too bad because it was slightly overcast and so although it was really humid, we didn't have boiling hot sun beating down on us. We left around 10.15 and arrived around 10.45, going at a leisurely pace. Bonus of staying at an Epcot resort is definitely the fact you can walk to both Epcot and Hollywood Studios! While we walked along with the sight of Tower of Terror looming, Robert announced he was definitely not coming on with me. He says he hates it but I think he actually hates it and loves it in equal measures hehe!

When we arrived at Hollywood Studios the main street was really busy, loads of people who seemed to be waiting around for something to happen. We had decided we were heading straight for Indiana Jones though, so we headed straight through the crowds and headed for the Indiana Jones arena. When we got here I looked up my programme and I realised that the crowds on Hollywood Boulevard were waiting for a "Frozen Royal Entrance". I would have liked to have seen that but, whatever, too late now.

We were seated about 15/20 minutes before the Indiana Jones show was due to start, but they had some crowd participation stuff going on so it passed quickly, and soon the show was underway. We both really enjoyed this. I actually forgot about the little secret twist (no spoilers here!) although I remembered about half way through. The effects were really cool and to be honest this was better than I remembered. Shady photos though, apologies.

 

After this we had around 45 minutes before our Star Tours FP+ so we went to the Muppets 3D show. I really enjoyed this as always, but Robert wasnt that thrilled with it. He isnt really a fan of 3D show type attractions though so that was too be expected. There was no queue for it though, which was great. I love those types of attractions that have no queue in the middle of July yet theyre still awesome. (at least IMO).

 

After this our FP+ only had 5/10 minutes til opening so we waited around in this vicinity instead of wandering off and having to walk back. It's SO much effort walking around in this heat haha. When our FP+ opened up we were straight in, and it was a 5 minute wait. LOVING FastPass+. Again we both really enjoyed this. Not overly thrilling but good fun.

After this we walked over to the Animation Academy, stopping at a cash machine along the way. It was a $2 charge to use the ATM in the parks, I think thats pretty standard across the parks.

We got into the first sitting of this, which opened up pretty much as soon as we arrived. They did a vote for the character we drew and the winner was Mickey Mouse. I can't remember the options but I think I voted for something else because I've drawn Mickey before. I think we both did not too badly if I do say so myself! This is my attempt on the top, Robert's at the bottom.

When we left this we went into the character spot, and waited around 10 minutes to meet Ralph and Venelope. Robert said he didnt want in on the pictures but when it came to it he just went straight in for the post. No idea why I was wearing such a hideous outfit here, clearly they have no mirrors in Boardwalk resort hehe! We also played with some of the little interactive games here.

After this is was time for our Tower or Terror FP+. We walked to the entrance and Robert was still adament that he wouldnt be coming on, until we got to the point where I turned to say bye to him and he goes "oh, do you really want me to come on with you?". See! he loves it and hates it but doesnt hate it enough not to come on! So of course he came on, and we were on within 5 minutes.

This is one of my absolute favourite attractions in all of WDW so I loved it as always. Robert claimed to hate it but he was laughing and smiling (and screaming) in the ride picture so he obviously loved it too.
We had a wee while before our next FP+ so we went to check the single rider for Rock n Roller Coaster but it was pretty long for riding separately so we gave it a miss for now and decided to ride it together for the first time. we have been on the Paris version before but not the (superior) Florida version so I wanted us to enjoy it together.

We were absolutely MELTING by this point so we decide to pop into the Brown Derby outside patio bit for a drink. Here we had probably the best moment of the day - FREE cocktail! It was table service here so the server took our order, with me ordering a Magical Star cocktail and Robert going for a Magic Hat No 9, which was some kind of ale. This was all good, our drinks came, mine in a lovely tall glass, glowing and looking tasty. I started to enjoy my cocktail when just moments later another member of staff came over and said "This is how a Magical Star SHOULD be done. That one's on me". BO-NUS!!!! They both tasted pretty much the same, just in different glasses, but I was definitely grateful for a second freebie cocktail on a boiling hot day!

After our afternoon soiree at Brown Derby it was time for Toy Story Mania. We were actually a bit tipsy, whoops! We had a 5/10 minute wait for this, compared to a line of around 80 minutes so we were really glad we managed to get a fast pass. We both LOVED this. It was actually so much better than I remember, although last time I had waited in a massive queue so I had maybe felt that it wasnt worth the wait, taking the shine off the ride itself. I love how you can actually see where you're shooting on this ride, compared to Buzz where I feel like you're just shooting blindly. Maybe i'm doing buzz wrong, who knows ha!

I think Robert was player 1 :(

 

After this we decided to head home. We walked back though I remember getting half way along the path and totally regretting this. I honestly have NO IDEA how I used work in this, wearing a huge bulky costume with thick felt cummerbund thing and grotty knee high stockings. Urgh!

We got back to the room at around 3.30ish, and chilled out for a while before we had to get ready for our evening. We were getting pretty hungry by this point, and I was VERY excited for our dinner at Beaches and Cream. We left about 4.40, and headed over to the Beach Club resort. It was actually pretty tricky to find, we ended up having to cut through the Yacht and Beach club pool area, i'm not sure if that's the only way in but it was the only way in that we could find.

We checked in at 5 on the dot and waited about 5/10 minutes to be seated. Robert ordered a bud light with lime for drink and I ordered a diet coke, and for dinner we both ordered an Angus Burger with Cheese which came with fries. We waited about 15/20 minutes for our food. It was pretty tasty although I had been told that these were the best burgers on Disney property but I dont think they were THAT good.

This picture literally shows the size of pretty much the whole restaurant besides a few stools around the counter. If you want to eat here (even just for ice cream!) book early.

After our mains I was SO full, yet again failing to each another entry on my "To Eat" list, the amazing looking chocolate cake they serve here. Robert went for a toffee sundae, which was so huge we werent sure where to start. We were SO FULL yet again.

After we came out of here Robert went to the restroom and I headed into the little arcade, and loaded up a wee card thing with a few dollars because the machines don't take any cash. we played a few little games of basketball and the wee claw machines where we scored some sweets.

Soon we headed off to Epcot, it was about 6.30 by this point and so it had cooled down a lot. Our first stop was the Rose and Crown, my old place of work. I was so excited to see that one of my old work mates Lady Sarah was working! she seemed excited to see me too and we had a quick little catch up and a wee photo :) Being back here with none of my old friends (the staff changes every year) makes it feel like working here was a dream but seeing someone who I actually know made it all seem real again. I ordered a Strongbow in there, but it wasnt the nicest. It seemed really apply, almost like someone had poured a couple of shots of apple Sourz into it.

We went for a wander of World Showcase stopping in a few places to explore the pavillions. The original plan was "Drinking Around the World" and staying for extra magic hours but after such a filling dinner there was no way we could have had a load of drinks.

We watched the little chinese acrobats doing their thing, which was good fun, before walking back to Mexico for a slushy margarita and a Dos Equis. We waited so long here - the guy serving was too busy filling up his straws to serve anyone, and then he forgot to give me a mixed margarita and only gave me strawberry. I just took it anyway, we waited long enough for it so I didnt want to have any longer to wait!

We headed back round towards china and sat people watching for a while with our drinks. It's so funny when people watching that you can usually tell straight away where people are from just by what they're wearing. I can tell British people a mile off.

It was nearing firework time now, and so we carried on our walk round world showcase, stopping at Germany to get a beer for Robert. He bought a Shoffenhoffer, which was $9 on its own, or $12 in a souvenir stein which I thought was actually good value for Disney. I wanted a Grey Goose slush so we headed onto France to buy this before finding a spot for fireworks on the bridge.

The fireworks were amazing as always, and yet again, I cried! These aren't the best photos but just wanted to share to show the view from the bridge. Partially blocked by trees so not the best.

We decided at this point that we had had seen enough of Epcot for the evening so we headed back to the Boardwalk to enjoy the vibe over there.It was buzzing and fun as always, with street performers and music going on. We watched some jugglers before heading onto Big River Grille, where we sat inside at the bar. I had a strawberry margarita, and Robert ordered a beer he wasnt actually keen on, I think it was called Steamboat. He preferred his second drink which was called Summer Wheat. I think I just had a Diet Coke after my first drink.

After the second drink we decided to call it a night, stopping in at Wyland Gallery on the way. This became a bit of a surreal experience, because we only went in for a browse (have you seen the prices in here?!) but after a short while one of the salesmen came over and took us to a little back room where he went through us the intricate details of a paiting we really liked, and started to go through shipping options etc. It was about $1800 and for a moment I thought that Robert was seriously considering buying it! I was a bit worried that he was drunk and would whip out his credit card because I loved it so much I probably would have gone along with his impulsivity and then regretted it in the morning! Thankfully we just took the saleman's card and said we would sleep on it.

We went to bed that night and not another word was mentioned about the painting.

Another amazing day at Walt Disney World, and I went to sleep a bit gutted that we would be checking out of the Boardwalk Resort the next morning, boohoo :(

 

- THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -